Lancaster County, PA, sometimes called Pennsylvania Dutch Country, is a popular destination for families. From learning about Amish culture to amusement parks, Lancaster County is full of fun activities for the entire family.
Lancaster County is the location of the second largest Amish community in the world. There are a number of attractions that can help your family discover the Amish lifestyle.
- Aaron and Jessica’s Amish Buggy Rides is a family-owned and operated tour that will take you to a non-commercial fully-operational Amish farm. The guides are all Amish, and many tours include a refreshment stop.
- The Amish Village is located on 12 acres of scenic farmlands. Here you will be able to tour a one-room schoolhouse, pet animals in the barn, visit an authentic Amish farmhouse, blacksmith shop, and market.
- The Mennonite Information Center is an excellent resource for discovering more about the Amish and Mennonite way of life. It hosts a movie and interactive quilting seminar.
Lancaster County is home to several amusement parks, appropriate for all ages.
- Hershey Park, located in Hershey, PA, is a fully-featured amusement park, with a variety of roller coasters, water rides, and kiddie rides. There are 12 roller coasters, and over 20 kiddie rides, ensuring fun for the whole family.
- Dutch Wonderland is an amusement park geared towards families with young children. With over 35 rides fun for the entire family, young children will especially enjoy this park where you will more often encounter a height maximum rather than minimum, ensuring the youngest riders get to experience most rides.
- Cherry Crest Farm is a combination of fun and learning. Located on a working farm, you will be able to enjoy a corn maze, wagon rides, slide, arcade games, a chicken show, and more! You will be able to watch chicks hatch and pet a llama as you learn all about farming.
Lancaster County is home to a number of factory tours, where you can see everything from furniture to motorcycles to chocolate being made.
- At the Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery, guests are able to get a tour of the original 150 year old bakery, learn how to twist their own pretzels, and of course taste a sample!
- The Hershey Chocolate World attraction includes a tour ride, a create-your-own candy bar experience, 4D movie, and more!
- Harley-Davidson also offers a factory tour in York, PA, where they manufacture the touring line of motorcycles.
There are a number of family-friendly outdoor activities waiting for you in Lancaster County.
- Refreshing Mountain provides overnight retreats, cabin rentals, a climbing wall, and a zip line canopy tour. This retreat and adventure center was designed specifically with families in mind.
- The US Hot Air Balloon Team offers daily hot air balloon tours over Lancaster County. From the sky, you will be able to see Amish farms working below. Sunrise and sunset rides are available.
- The Wolf Sanctuary of PA offers walking tours of their wolf refuge. Learn about wolves and observe them on this unique tour.
- The Strasburg Railroad offers a 45-minute tour through the Pennsylvania countryside. You will ride aboard a real steam train. There are also Day Out With Thomas events available. A dining car is available.
With these attractions and many more, Lancaster County, PA is an excellent destination for families. There are a variety of tours and activities for every age and interest, ensuring the entire family will find something to love in Lancaster County.