Many families at Refreshing Mountain enjoy the summertime by relaxing, swimming, and of course, having campfires. Campfires are a perfect evening addition to any retreat at Refreshing Mountain! They combine all aspects of summer by spending time outside, socializing, and enjoying good food. Traditional campfire snacks, such as s’mores and hotdogs, are a very popular choice. However, it is always fun to change up tradition and try something new.
Here are some different campfire side recipes to change up the tradition.
Sticky buns may sound like a lot of work, but they don’t have to be! These are an easy and delicious dessert or breakfast over the fire.
- Roasting sticks
- 1 can of refrigerated cinnamon rolls
- Pierce cinnamon rolls with roasting sticks through the side of the cinnamon roll
- Toast over a campfire (continuously rotating over low flames for about 15-20 minutes)
- Drizzle with icing and serve
Load fries are the perfect side to any campfire meal, especially if you’re also cooking burgers and hotdogs.
- 1 bag frozen French fries
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 4 slices of your favorite cheese
- 2 tablespoons green onions
- 2 tablespoons cooked real bacon bits
- Toss frozen French fries with melted butter
- Tear off 1- foot long piece of aluminum foil. Place a small amount of the fries in the center of the piece. Wrap the foil around the fries. Poke holes with a fork on one side of the pouch. This will allow for the steam to be released. Repeat this step until all the fries are wrapped in foil.
- Place pouches of fries over the coals of a fire. If you have a grate, put the pouches on a grate over the fire.
- Once the fries are hot (20-30 minutes) remove from heat and add the toppings (cheese, onions, bacon).
Who doesn’t love a good s’more? Although the traditional way is hard to beat, change up your s’mores with these creative substitutes
- Instead of using graham crackers, place the gooey marshmallow between 2 cookies
- Replace chocolate with another candy, such as Reese’s peanut butter cups
- Dip a strawberry in marshmallow fluff and roast over the fire
I hope that these recipes add a twist to your fireside menu! Which snacks are your favorite to eat by the fire?
Family getaways make for great memories, especially all the times enjoying each other’s company around a campfire. Create even more priceless family memories by scheduling a cabin rental or a family retreat at Refreshing Mountain. Click here to contact us today or call (888) 353-1490.