- We have installed AirScrubbers (UV HVAC sanitation systems), plexiglass barriers, handwashing stations, etc. But don’t worry, the restful atmosphere hasn’t changed, and we think it is even more “glowing” in contrast to the anxiety present in the culture right now.
- We are routinely cleaning the common area spaces, such as bathrooms in the meeting rooms and dining room, and high-touch surfaces in the Dining Hall, office, and pool.
Post Covid-19 Adaptations for Retreats at Refreshing Mountain
Here are the steps we are taking to mitigate the risks of COVID-19 exposure during retreat events hosted at Refreshing Mountain.
In general here are a few items we have done for a more refreshing experience
Same great lodging, with all the room necessary
- In Green Phase, Lodging arrangements should be planned at a max of 75% occupancy. In Yellow Phase, it should be 50% occupancy. For either phase, if the occupants of a unit are all one family that has been sheltering together, the capacity cap is unnecessary.
- Guest Services will help you with the Lodging arrangements when you are ready for this detail.
- In Bunks, with the capacity caps above, there will be empty beds to space between guests. With the extra space, guests can spread out and also sleep “head to toe” in the dorm areas.
- Refreshing Mountain will provide additional cleaning supplies so that you can routinely clean the bathroom areas of the lodging during your stay.
Same delicious food, served in a responsible way
- We will follow the guidelines from PA Dept of Health for Green and Yellow phases, but in general this will mean serving cafeteria style for entrees and pre-packaged salads, desserts, and beverages. We will stagger meal times between groups as necessary to comply with maximum capacities in the dining hall, additional spacing for tables and chairs, and cleaning between groups. We will provide both indoor and outdoor seating as weather permits.
- Guest Services will work with you to set meal times as you plan your schedule.
Customized private bookings means your group only
- All activity timeslots are booked privately for your group. We have additional cleaning procedures in place between groups, handwashing stations, and masks for our guides.
With you in mind
We have made 2 important contract changes in response to COVID-19. Each Overnight Event will have these terms added to their event contract. These are meant to 1) give you more flexibility on the final count, due to the uncertainties of COVID-19, and 2) protect the retreat customer from the cancellation policy if a governmental action prohibits the event within 30 days of the event start date.
- Flexibility on the Final Count
- Any guests that do not attend due to last minute sickness will receive a full refund of the costs. The maximum event credit for last minute sickness(es) will be up to 10% of the original final count, assuming that the reduced number still meets or exceeds the contract minimum # of people or Minimum Financial Obligation.
- COVID-19 Disclaimer
- Both the Guest Group and Refreshing Mountain (RM) acknowledge the uncertainties of planning/hosting a retreat during the COVID-19 pandemic. While efforts will be made to mitigate the risks, RM cannot eliminate the possibility of COVID—19 exposure to guests while on the property. Guest Group understands and assumes these risks by proceeding with event confirmation. Additionally, COVID-19 concerns will not be considered a viable reason for relief from the standard cancellation terms of this event, unless a governmental action prohibits the event from proceeding within 30 days of the arrival date.
Things you can do to help
Before you come and while you’re here
Health pre-screening of retreat guests has always been good practice for camps, but now needs to be emphasized, and guests should be assured that if they cancel last minute due to sickness or potential exposure, they will get a full refund. They should make that decision to stay home for the good of the community. You may want to consider a questionnaire as guests arrive (or before they board transportation), asking parents to confirm that there is no recent exposure, or even a temp check if warranted. Refreshing Mountain can provide a touchless thermometer for temp check throughout your event if desired.
- If a person develops symptoms during your event, notify us immediately and we will implement our action plan to mitigate the risks to others. The details of this will vary based on the situation, but we are prepared to address this issue if/when it occurs. (again, aggressive pre-screening will go a long way in preventing this occurrence).
Based on your health needs
Wearing a mask is a decision that has to be made based on the health needs of the individual. Therefore, for HIPPA compliance, Refreshing Mountain assumes that anyone not wearing a mask has a personal health need guiding that decision, and we are not requiring any verification of that fact.
Notwithstanding the above, RM employees will be wearing masks whenever in close contact with other staff or guests (the only exception to this will be lifeguards at the pool, but they are trained to maintain 6 ft spacing at all times except emergencies). Additionally, there will be times, such as swimming or exercise, where masks present a breathing hazard, and as such, they should NOT be worn at those times, even if they are worn at other times.
Make time for smart practices
- Scheduling Considerations
- Build in “Handwashing Times” and “Symptom Check-ins” throughout the event.
- Not all camp activities can happen at 6ft distances, and that is ok, but at the same time, that doesn’t mean we can’t rethink certain things. Consider ways to
- Create smaller “camper pods” of 5-10 campers, and keep campers in the same “pods” for lodging, activities, discussion times, etc. as much as possible.
- Lower the amount of shared equipment in group games.
- Plan activities that don’t require as much close physical touch.
- Pool Time will have to be planned a bit more precisely since we will be capping the “max capacity” to avoid overcrowding. This will actually be an added benefit for your pool time (i.e. less people there), it just has to be planned out differently. Talk with Guest Services about this more.
Who We Seek
Last but not least, Pray for Safety. Again, this is one of those things that is just common sense, but it is worth calling attention to it, as we humbly ask for the Lord to watch over the camp experiences and protect us from dangers, both seen and unseen. The promises we have through Him of Hope, Peace, and Protection haven’t changed because of COVID-19 and we know that He is Trustworthy in all situations.
We look forward to planning an exciting, refreshing, and rewarding experience with you.